With the concern of the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), we wanted to share with you what we are doing at Open Minds to be prepare for any potential impacts.
As you would be aware, COVID-19 is a new strain of coronavirus affecting humans.
Some coronaviruses can cause illness similar to the common cold and others can cause more serious respiratory diseases. This novel coronavirus is still new and as such we are still learning more about it.
Open Minds have a team of representatives from each area of the business to be proactive in our response to COVID-19 and to ensure we are as prepared as possible.
We are in the process of implementing a range of measures for all locations, as well as planning for further measures that may become necessary.
Awareness of symptoms and actions to take
What can I do to protect myself?
To protect yourself and others from infection practice good hand and respiratory hygiene including:
- cleaning hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rubs
- covering your nose and mouth with a tissue or flexed elbow when coughing or sneezing
- avoiding contact with anyone who has symptoms such as fever, a cough, sore throat, fatigue, and shortness of breath
- staying home if you are unwell.
You should also try and stay at least 1.5 metres away from people coughing or sneezing.
Open Minds staff have also been asked to be aware of their own health and not come to work if unwell.
Staff must not attend work if they have:
- Travelled or returned from overseas as they must isolate themselves for 14 days from arriving back into Australia; or
- Been in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus in the last 14 days (they must isolate themselves for 14 days after the date of last contact with the confirmed case); or
- Been formally instructed to self-isolate by health service providers or regulatory authorities for other reasons.
If you have been overseas in the last 14 days and are feeling unwell, contact your GP or call 13HEALTH (13 43 25 84).
Where can I stay up to date with current information
Visit the Queensland Health, Novel Coronavirus page.
Hygiene and cleanliness
As well as deep cleaning our hubs on a daily basis, personal hygiene recommendations have been reinforced with all clients and employees, including:
• cleaning hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand rubs
• covering your nose and mouth with a tissue or flexed elbow when coughing or sneezing
• avoiding contact with anyone who has symptoms such as fever, a cough, sore throat, fatigue, and shortness of breath
• staying home if you are unwell
Masks are only helpful in preventing people who have COVID-19 from spreading it to others.
If Open Minds employees or clients are well, they do not need to wear a mask as there is little evidence supporting the widespread use of surgical masks in healthy people to prevent transmission in public.
If you have any further questions about personal preventative measures, please read the Queensland Health guidelines.
Open Minds will continue to monitor the COVID-19, situation closely and provide updates as necessary. If you become unwell and fear for infecting others, you should seek the advice from your doctor, but call prior to attending.
Thank you for your support in helping keep our clients, their families, our employees and visitors safe and well.
To stay abreast of Open Minds’ COVID-19 (coronavirus) health alerts, visit our dedicated pages: Open Minds COVID-19 Health Alert, Mental Health Hub Morayfield COVID-19 Health Alert