What is the NDIS?

What is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, is commonly referred to as PTSD and is a particular set of reactions that can develop within people who have experienced a traumatic event which threatened their life or safety or that of those around them. Open Minds provides access to NDIS PTSD support to enable customers to improve their daily living skills.

What is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

NDIS covers PTSD when it is classified as a psychosocial disability. Those with a significant disability that is likely to be permanent, may qualify for NDIS support.

What is the difference between a mental health illness and a psychosocial disability?

Mental health illnesses are conditions that involve significant changes in a person’s emotions, thoughts and/or behaviour. A psychosocial disability is the term used to describe disabilities that may arise from mental health illnesses (Focuses on the social and economic barriers associated with the mental health condition).

Who is the NDIS for?

You may be eligible for the NDIS if:

  • You are under 65 years of age
  • Live permanently in Australia or; Australian CItizen permanent resident or hold a protected special category visa
  • Your mental illness or disability is permanent or life long and affects your ability to do everyday things.

Or you have to meet the early intervention requirements:

  • Your child is aged under 6 and has developmental delay.
  • You or your child have a disability that is likely to be permanent or early supports would reduce how much help you or your child require in the future and

For further information on eligibility please visit the NDIS access checklist.

What type of support can be funded to help people with PTSD?

  • Assistance with daily life at home
  • Assistive technology
  • Increasing social and community participation
  • Improving relationships
  • Improving learning
  • Improving life choices
  • Finding and keeping a job
  • Transport to daily activities
  • Improving daily living skills
  • Supporting living arrangements

What evidence do you need to provide?

Further information regarding what information about your disability you need to include as a part of your access request form can be found at the following pages:

Contact Us

Send an enquiry through the form below and we’ll respond within 24 hours.

Call us for free on 1300 673 664
or contact our Head Office in Woolloongabba on (07) 3896 4222