Watch the Open Minds video above
Open Minds Client
Our SIL service includes:
- Residential shared support options for like-minded people
- Matching you with like-minded people to live with
- Maintaining your home and assistance with household tasks
- Social skills development and support to attend group activities or hobbies
- Daily living assistance
- Community participation
- Personal care
- 24/7 support including overnight awake shifts
- Support to arrange home modifications as required
- Feel safe and secure in own home
- Taking control of your own choices
- Personal independence and increased confidence
- Learn how to work within a budget
- Improve your housekeeping skills
- Stay close to friends and family, in an area familiar to you
Frequently Asked Questions
Have you heard of Supported Independent Living (SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) but don’t understand the difference?
They may sound like the same thing, but essentially, SIL is the funding for support services, and the SDA is the accommodation (the physical house itself) in which those services are delivered.
Here’s a different way to see what that looks like:
An SDA provider:
Will look after the house itself – as in the physical structure, the bricks, walls, roof, etc – think of it like a landlord or property owner or building manager. SDA homes are built with peoples needs in mind such as accessibility, reinforcements and all the requirements of a home a person may need to be independent.
A SIL provider (Open Minds):
Will manage the supports required by the individual. Essentially this means that a SIL provider, like Open Minds, supply the support workers to support people in the house with tasks of daily living to focus you to develop your skills so that you can live as independently as possible.
- Aged between 18 - 65
- Approved NDIS funding package
- Including Supported Independent Living in your package